MCS-Aware.org: What is MCS?

MCSAware.org 2

What is MCS?

spray-bottle

Multiple Chemical Sensitivity (MCS) is a chronic, physical illness affecting people of all ages and backgrounds. It causes sufferers to have allergic-type reactions to very low levels of chemicals in everyday products. Put simply the immune and detoxification systems stop working properly and the body cannot process toxins efficiently.

Besides reacting to things like cleaning products, shampoo, perfumes and pesticides, many sufferers are also sensitive to food, medicines, moulds and electromagnetic fields.

Who gets MCS?

MCS is a devastating and isolating illness that has many different triggers and can start at any age. It may develop after a single particular exposure to a toxic substance such as pesticides or industrial solvents (sometimes from a newly decorated home or office). Others develop sensitivities after a period of ill health or viral infection, with symptoms getting worse over several years.

Occasionally the illness arises gradually as a result of long term exposure to very low level toxins. Once sensitised, individuals often react to minute traces of chemicals at levels far below those usually considered to be harmful.

Some airborne irritants are odourless and sufferers may find themselves in the distressing position of having no idea what they are reacting to. Severe reactions can leave sufferers bedbound for several months, while many more become confined to their homes.

In 2003, research indicated over 12% of the US population was affected with severe MCS – over 36.5 million people – and statistics have continued to rise. Exact numbers of sufferers in the UK are still not known but include thousands of soldiers affected by Gulf War Syndrome. Despite this, the medical profession still varies widely in its support and there are currently no clinical guidelines for the treatment of patients.

Symptoms

migraine

Most people are familiar with mild forms of chemical sensitivity. Symptoms might include a rash from washing powder or shampoo, headaches from traffic fumes, asthma from perfume, or hyperactivity induced by chemicals in foods. These symptoms can usually be managed by avoiding the problem products.

Individuals with MCS react to far more than one or two items. Severe sufferers cannot tolerate any synthetic or petrochemical substances, and some even react to natural products. Because of modern manufacture, many people with MCS find themselves allergic to practically everything in their homes.

Exposure to very low levels of toxins and fragrances can lead to a wide range of symptoms including headaches, nausea, disorientation, confusion, breathing problems, exhaustion, muscle pains or collapse. Reactions vary in severity and can occur immediately or several hours later depending on which body systems are involved.

MCS affects family, relationships, employment, social interaction, and even simple things such as taking a bath, getting dressed or reading a book. Hypersensitive individuals may become intolerant of a great many foods and some find themselves unable to tolerate anything except liquid nutritional feeds. Others become sensitive to electromagnetic fields and are unable to use a telephone, computer, radio or TV – effectively becoming housebound without any form of outside communication.

Treatment

Although symptoms can be managed and sometimes improved, there is currently no known cure.

Recovery involves avoidance of as many toxins and problem substances as practicably possible, to allow the body time to heal and prevent irreversible damage. This has a huge impact on everyday life but nutritional therapy and gentle detoxification can help repair the body’s systems. Some people also find specialist desensitisation and complementary therapies beneficial.

The easiest way to diagnose chemical sensitivity is to keep a Diary of symptoms, activities and what you eat or drink. After a couple of weeks look back and see if you can identify any recurring patterns. Once you’ve worked out what’s triggering your symptoms, avoiding the product should help you feel a lot better. There’s no need to go without, simply replace the item with an alternative. “Fragrance-free” and “environmentally-friendly” brands are less likely to contain allergic triggers

Early access to appropriate information, support, treatment and an individual approach is vital for any chance of recovery.

Recognition

MCS is classified as a physical illness by the World Health Organisation (WHO) under the International Classification of Diseases ICD-10-SGB-V, T78.4. MCS is recognised as a serious medical illness in Germany, Denmark, Austria, Japan, Australia, Canada and the USA, where sufferers have access to appropriate medical treatment, housing and social support.

In the UK multiple sensitivities are listed as a symptom of ME, but MCS is not yet recognised as an illness in its own right. Medical support varies widely and there are no specialist NHS treatment facilities. Sufferers and their families are often left to cope as best they can without help – this is where we can make a difference!

Further Information

We can help by providing you with valuable methods to help identify food, chemical and electrical sensitivities, coping strategies, and ways to improve your health. We have genuine experience of dealing with multiple intolerances and have researched many alternative products which may help to alleviate symptoms. We regularly produce magazines (chlorine-free paper of course), newsletters, helpsheets, product reviews and articles. Simply subscribe to ourSupport Group or MCS Magazine

References:
  • Caress, S. and Steinemann, A. (2003). More than 12% of Population Reports Extreme Sensitivity to Low Levels of Common Chemicals. Published in Environmental Health Perspectives (EHP), the journal of the National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences, 11 September 2003 Retrieved 18/02/05, fromhttp://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1241652/